Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What to eat

Staying healthy as a senior has to involve a combination of proper exercise and proper eating. I think many of us handle the exercise pretty well. Especially as cyclists, because we love our bikes and our rides so much that no body has to tell us to get out and exercise. On the contrary, some of our family and friends think we need to get off the bike and get some other stuff done.

Where I struggle, and I have a feeling I am not the only one, is eating the proper foods in the proper amounts. There are so many things to think about - calories, carbs, sugar, preservatives, artificial this and that, cholesterol. If I pick a food that is low calorie, it has too much carb. Something that is low in cholesterol and sodium is too high in calories. On and on it goes. I need to lose about 15 lbs. There are just some things I shouldn't eat. Chicken wings, pizza, ice cream........ What generally happens is that I eat anything I want in moderation and end up eating too many calories so that when I subtract the calories burned with all my exercise, instead of creating a deficit so that I lose weight, I end up breaking just about even, which means I maintain my overweight condition. Grrr......

1 comment:

Rick and Holly Garrett said...

Hi, Chuck! Very nicely done blog!

I'm looking forward to reading it and getting to know you better!

Regards,
Rick