Monday, July 9, 2007

I am not as old as I am

A recent reader commented that "I am not as old as other women my age". That is a very interesting comment. I often tell people that, this year for instance, I am celebrating the 31st anniversary of my 30th birthday. That is because I feel a lot more 30 than I do 60. Tonight for instance I did two Spin classes and stayed on the bike for the 50 minutes in between classes for a total of 2-1/2 hours of Spinning. My heart rate maxxed at 93% and averaged 77% over the entire ride. My point is, we don't have to accept diminished fitness as a natural consequence of increased age. That is not to say that we can run as fast, cycle as fast, endure as long - but we can still maintain a high level of fitness within the parameters of obvious physical limitations. So, stand up, move forward and repeat. Then do it again. We can go into our senior years and still be healthy and fit, it just takes a little more determination

No comments: