Monday, August 6, 2007

Spinning


Besides riding my road bike, I love to Spin. If you don't know what that is, it is a stationary bike ride done on special Spin bikes in organized Spinning classes by certified instructors. It was invented by Johnny G and is an incredible cardio burn. I generally burn between 450 and 600 calories in a 45-minute class.

At the gym where I go, they are cutting some of the Spin classes because of lack of participation. Classes that can handle 20 participants are only getting 5-10 per class. Some of us regulars have gone out and talked to gym members about coming to Spin class. The perception seems to be that it is too hard. They are intimidated by the intensity. We try to explain that when you are new, in no way are you expected to keep up with the instructor or the regulars. Everybody is allowed to work at their own pace and gradually get stronger. That intimidation factor still keeps them away. I wish I could think of a way to get more people into Spinning.

My experience: I took my first Spin class in October of 2002. Foolishly, I tried to keep up with everything the instructor asked and I ended up working way too hard for my current fitness level. I was 56 at the time, and just beginning an effort to get into shape. I left that class swearing I would never go back, it was just too difficult. I didn't go back for 3 months, but I finally decided that I wasn't going to let it beat me. I went back, but this time I worked at a level that I could do, the next time I did a little bit more.... Now, I have been doing 2 or 3 classes a week ever since and I can out-ride all the young-uns in the class. So I know it works, I just wish I could get people inspired to give it a try - the proper way!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I love to do spinning classes during the winter to stay in shape during the off season. It's helped me out a great deal to lose weight and get prepared for running and cycling season. If more cyclists and "spinners" had your attitude people would probably be more willing to give it a go. As a long time cyclist and spinner I must say that the elitist or clique-ish attitude of some can be intimidating. Also, like you said, a lot of people defeat themselves by going to hard the first time and expecting too much of themselves. I think we're all guilty of that one sometimes.