Sunday, May 6, 2007

My failed century ride

I don't know what made me think that just because I could do intense Spin classes for 4-1/2 years, and just because I did a 32 mile road bike ride comfortably, that I could go out and do 100 miles on an organized ride. Lot's of ego working overtime I guess. I mean, how hard could it be - you push the left pedal down, you push the right pedal down, you keep doing that until you get to the place where it says FINISH. I knew that there were bound to be some issues, hills, wind, traffic etc., but I just knew I could do it! Even if it took me 10 or 11 hours. So, on April the 28th 2007 I left Creston CA to do 107 miles in the Wildflower Century. Wait a minute, I thought a century was 100 miles, oh well, what's 7 more miles when you have done 100. Little did I know!! The first 28 miles were great. Mashed my way up some pretty good hills, conquered some great downhills, passed a few people, got passed by a lot of people. I pulled into the first rest stop feeling really good. I ate a couple of high carb pastries, waited my turn in the porta-potti line and got back on my bike. As I left the rest area, I still felt good, but I was getting passed by individuals, pace lines and fast moving critters. I soon started up a long steep hill. I started to get very heavy legs and got off my bike and walked up part of the hill. I coasted down the other side, and when I started pedaling again I was just feeling very heavy. When I started up the next hill, again I stopped to get off the bike. When I did my quadriceps cramped up on both legs - I was done. I basically gave up. When the sag wagon came by I jumped on and it was over. 42 miles and I was a quitter. My only encouragement was that I was not the only one, the sag wagons were very busy. It turned out to be 98 degrees that day and a lot of riders were 'saggin' out. I am feeling better about it now, I just need to prepare better for the next one.

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

Quitter is not a word that comes to mind when I think of you! 42 miles in 98 degress! Wow! The most I've ever done is an hour Spin class and I'm grumpy if the fan is not blowing directly on me! You're an inspiration Chuck!